With decades of experience in the energy sector, we have led the negotiation, signing and implementation of major projects in Ecuador’s oil, gas, mining, hydroelectric and alternative energy industries.
Our performance is based on effective interaction with authority, understanding the geopolitical aspects, analyzing and specifying strategic and technical elements of energy-related activities, and applying the most innovative legal standards in the industry.
We operate internally in the areas of tax, labor, environment, litigation, immigration and contracts, as well as with international firms, for the overall benefit of our clients.
PBP’s energy unit is renowned for its experience, its extensive knowledge of the industry and its commitment to working closely with clients, in order to meet their most complex requirements in a sector that is under increasing scrutiny and intense pressure.
Our practice includes:
Oil and gas
- Since the inception of the oil industry in Ecuador we have accompanied our clients in the negotiation, execution and termination of oil and gas contracts.
- Our services include dealing with the authorities, contract negotiation, dispute resolution and compliance with regulatory requirements.
Renewable Energy/Alternative Energy
- PBP has been a pioneer in advising our clients on alternative energy projects in Ecuador, such as photovoltaic and Aeolian energy, with emphasis on regulatory and environmental aspects.
- For decades we have been advising our clients at every phase of the mining industry, including negotiation with state institutions, aspects related to the exploration and exploitation phases, contracts regarding mining rights and transactions related to the mining industry.
- Our experience in electricity includes providing advice during the negotiation and implementation of contracts for the concession, generation, interconnection, transmission and distribution of electric energy, including all the regulatory aspects.
Why they say about us
Chambers Latin America
“The energy practice at this full-service firm traces its roots back to the 1960s, a crucial period in the development of the country’s oil and gas-related activities. The group now enjoys a leading position in this market and has forged long-term relationships with notable clients such as Repsol YPF, PERENCO and Noble Energy. Recently, the firm joined forces with Chilean law firm Carcelén & Cia, further strengthening the energy and natural resources department.”
“Managing partner Sebastián Pérez and Francisco Roldán (a “fantastic lawyer”) head the energy practice area that inspires confidence in clients; so much so that they were called upon for their disputes experience against the government after the sector was nationalised. Pérez was part of the team that negotiated a US$97 million settlement with the Ecuadorean government on behalf of Noble Energy. Roldán has also acted in solving a dispute with the government, helping the Pegaso oil consortium reach an agreement in a technical arbitration procedure over payments owed by the government in what was the first ever use of the binding expert opinion clause in new service contracts after the country reformed its hydrocarbons law.”
The Legal 500
“Held in high regard by the market for its full-service strength, Pérez Bustamante & Ponce handles a healthy array of energy matters for an impressive range of clients, from permanent advice on day-to-day operations through to contract and concession negotiation with the Ecuadorian government. The firm also has an environmental practice, enabling teams to offer clients comprehensive advice in relation to project development in Ecuador. Senior partner Francisco Roldán has extensive experience across the sector and other key figures include Sebastián Pérez-Arteta and Jaime Zaldumbide. Recent work includes advising Codelco on its initial establishment in Ecuador, and assisting Solexica in its negotiations with the Ecuadorian government regarding solar energy production contracts.”