Agribusiness, Consumer Markets and Retail, Education, Pharmaceutical and Healthcare, Competition, Mergers and Acquisitions, Personal Data Protection
Diego heads our Mergers & Acquisitions and Competition departments, advising clients on domestic and international transactions and other sophisticated corporate matters in Ecuador
Diego focuses on mergers and acquisitions and competition matters. In the field of M&A he represents strategic buyers, sellers, investment banks and investment funds in international transactions, acquisitions, joint ventures, asset acquisition, share purchase agreements (SPAs), shareholder’s agreements (SHAs), due diligence processes, closing of transactions and other complex corporate matters.
He is also experienced in competition control of mergers and acquisitions and in regulatory aspects of the area.
Experienced practitioner and co-head of department Diego Pérez-Ordóñez comes highly recommended in the market, with a client highlighting: “Diego is very responsive, diligent and personable,” and adding that “he can explain complex matters to clients who aren’t familiar with legal jargon.” Pérez-Ordóñez regularly assists multinational clients acquiring assets in Ecuador.
Chambers Latin America 2020 (Corporativo & Comercial)
Co-head of the department Diego Pérez-Ordóñez garners praise from clients, with one stating: “Diego sets out the strategic and global decisions,” while another enthuses: “He has made valuable contributions to various cases and consultations thanks to his vast experience, negotiation techniques and knowledge of the country’s regulations.”
Chambers Latin America 2020 (Competition & Antitrust)
The “experienced and knowledgeable” Diego Pérez-Ordóñez is frequently instructed by clients to advise on construction projects, as well as the negotiation and implementation of long-term lease and concession agreements.
Chambers Latin America 2020 (Real Estate)
The Legal 500, 2019 (Corporate & M&A)
The Legal 500, 2019 (Real Estate, Competition & Antitrust)
Corporate / M&A- 2020
“Department co-head Diego Pérez-Ordóñez is endorsed by clients as an “excellent and very diligent” practitioner. His expertise spans M&A and he is particularly well versed in tender offers and share purchase agreements. He also has a notable practice representing multinational banks and investment funds”
Chambers Latin America 2019 (Corporate and Commercial)
“Diego Pérez-Ordóñez co-heads the department and is recognized by market onlookers as “active in project finance and M&A related to the real estate area”
Chambers Latin America 2019 (Infrastructure and Real Estate)
“Co-head of department Diego Pérez-Ordóñez is lauded as “an antitrust expert” by clients, who elaborate: “He’s extremely responsive, and his service is coupled with excellent advice that’s clear, focused and practical.” Merger control and regulatory compliance are his particular areas of focus”
Chambers Latin America 2019 (Competition and Antitrust)
“The “excellent and well rounded” Diego Pérez-Ordóñez is praised by interviewees, who comment that “he’s a lawyer who provides personal treatment, is diligent and committed, and understands our business.” They continue: “He provides good advice,” adding: “He’s a relevant practitioner in this field.” He is also recognized by market commentators for his involvement in antitrust matters”
Chambers Latin America 2018 and Chambers Global 2018 (Corporate and Commercial)
“Sources highlight Diego Pérez-Ordóñez’s involvement in real estate matters, and say: “He’s an important lawyer at the firm.” They also say: “He’s a very good lawyer who knows the law and is respected among peers”
Chambers Latin America 2018 (Infrastructure and Real Estate)
“Practice co-head Diego Pérez-Ordoñez is also an integral member of the team”
The Legal 500 2018 (Infrastructure and Real Estate)
“Recent mandates saw practice head Diego Pérez-Ordóñez advise Time Warner on local issues arising from the company’s $85.4bn merger with AT&T. Pérez-Ordóñez and Juan Manuel Marchán assisted Chilean LPG-company, Abastible, with the acquisition of two Ecuadorian LPG companies”
The Legal 500 2018 (Corporate and M&A)
“Diego Pérez-Ordóñez, who is recognised in LACCA Approved, in-house counsel research conducted by Latin Lawyer’s sister publication, the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association”
Latin Lawyer 250 2018 (Corporate and M&A)
““Diego Perez is an excellent lawyer with business understanding and client orientation.”
“Excellent. Extremely responsive and clear on project management. Thoughtful and well connected. He is the lawyer with the most M&A experience in Ecuador. He has significant experience and handles himself very well in meetings and negotiations”
IFRL 1000 (Corporate and Finance)
- Pérez Bustamante & Ponce (2000 – present)
- Professor of Political Law, School of Law, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador (1999 – present)
- Professor of Constitutional Law, School of Law, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador (1999 – present)
- Member, Instituto Iberoamericano de Derecho Constitucional (2017 – present)
- Editor, luris Dictio magazine (1999 – 2013)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, Quito (Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1996)
- London School of Economics, U.K. (Diploma in Microeconomics, 1990)
- Universidad de Salamanca, Spain (Graduate Studies in Political Science, 2000)
- Ecuador Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- The Merger Control Review, United Kingdom: Law Business Research, tenth edition, chapter 15, 2019.
- The Merger Control Review, United Kingdom: Law Business Research, ninth edition, chapter 9, 2018.
- The Mergers and Acquisitions Review, United Kingdom: Law Business Research, eight edition, chapter 20, 2014.
- The Merger Control Review, United Kingdom: Law Business Research, fifth edition, chapter 9, 2014.
- The Mergers and Acquisitions Review, United Kingdom: Law Business Research, seventh edition, chapter 22, 2013.
- The Merger Control Review, United Kingdom:Law Business Research, fourth edition, chapter 11, 2013.
PBP Insights – Diego Pérez-Ordóñez