Intellectual Property, Personal Data Protection
Francisco heads our Intellectual Property practice. Clients value his extensive experience and legal knowledge of trademark, copyright and audiovisual matters
Francisco leads our Intellectual Property practice. He is praised for the depth of his knowledge on copyright and audiovisual rights and frequently advises local producers of cinematographic works in Ecuador.
He has presided over the most important local IP associations such as the Ecuadorian Intellectual Property Association (AEPI), AIPPI – Ecuador and is a National Delegate for Ecuador at ASIPI and has been a Professor of Intellectual Property at local universities.
Francisco Pérez Gangotena is renowned in the market for his specialised IP practice. Sources attest to his reputation in the market, with one reporting: “He is a great lawyer who offers a good practice in the trade mark, patent and advertising fields.” He also offers a wealth of experience in copyright and audiovisual production matters.
Chambers Latin America 2021 (Intellectual Property)
Head of department and “excellent lawyer and leader” Francisco Pérez Gangotena is picked out by one client who states: “He offers a commercial orientation and also ensures that he is available to you, maintaining close contact in order to resolve problems.” Pérez Gangotena manages trade mark portfolios for an array of high-profile multinationals.
Chambers Latin America 2020 (Intellectual Property)
The Legal 500, 2019 (Intellectual Property)
“Francisco Pérez Gangotena is particularly active advising clients from the entertainment industry on copyright matters. He garners praise from clients, who enthuse: “He has been leading all our IP cases and he is very familiar with us as a company, which adds value to the service he provides”
Chambers Latin America 2019 (Intellectual Property)
“Francisco Pérez Gangotena is praised by sources, who agree that he is an “experienced and very good lawyer.” Interviewees enthuse: “He provides a very good service to his clients,” and go on to add: “He is diligent, professional and well organized.” He is experienced in advising on copyright protection”
Chambers Latin America 2018 and Chambers Global 2018 (Intellectual Property)
“Well-regarded practice head Francisco Pérez-Gangotena led advice to ExxonMobil concerning the expansion of the company’s trade mark portfolio, including filing a number of new trade mark applications”
The Legal 500 2018 (Intellectual Property)
Francisco Pérez-Gangotena is well received and praised by clients for his knowledge of the field”
Latin Lawyer 250 2018 (Intellectual Property)
- Pérez Bustamante & Ponce (1995 – present)
- National delegate, Management Board, Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property, ASIPI (2016 – 2018)
- Professor of Intellectual Property, Graduate Studies, Universidad de Las Américas, Quito, Ecuador (2015)
- President, Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle, AIPPI – Ecuadorian Group (2009 – 2012)
- President, Ecuadorian Association of Intellectual Property, AEPI (2008 – 2009)
- Professor of Intellectual Property, Institute of Graduate Studies in International Science, Universidad Central del Ecuador, Quito (2002 – 2007)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, Quito (Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1993).
- Ecuador Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- New Communication Law: Amidst Controls and Incentives. Marcasur International #60, July 2013.
- Ecuador Believes in the Development of Knowledge. Marcasur International #53, March 2013.
- Ecuadorian Film Making and Intellectual Property. Marcasur International #32, April 2012.
- Tweets and Twitter: Ecuador’s IP Conflicts Deriving from the Social Media. Marcasur International #26, January 2012.
- The Intellectual Property Office Commenced Legal Actions to Combat Piracy. Marcasur International #8, February 2011.
- First Compulsory License for Pharmaceutical Products. Marcasur International #6, January 2011.
PBP Insights – Francisco Pérez-Gangotena