José David Ortiz-Custodio
Dispute Resolution, Education
José David is a constitutional law expert. He has represented clients in some of the most significant constitutional cases in Ecuador
José David leads the firm’s constitutional practice. He specializes in advocating for clients in complex constitutional, administrative, commercial and civil litigation cases. He has represented clients at the Constitutional Court of Ecuador in proceedings at the Reconsideration Division, public unconstitutionality actions, actions to enforce constitutional rights and actions for failure to comply with judgments. He has also represented clients in courts and tribunals across the country in actions to enforce constitutional rights, provisional remedies, habeas data and access to public information.
José David has successfully defended clients in some of the most significant constitutional cases in Ecuador, including defending media companies in freedom of speech disputes; private health insurance companies in disputes for health and social security rights; pharmaceutical companies in cases regarding access to medicine; clinics and hospitals in disputes concerning the availability of health services; and financial institutions in litigation concerning the rights to freedom of enterprise and freedom of association. He is experienced in complex litigation relating to rights to equality, freedom of religion and due process.
José David also has significant dispute resolution experience in the construction, mining, port and airport, press, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, health, private health insurance, food & beverage, and education sectors.
The Legal 500, 2019 (Dispute Resolution)
The Legal 500, 2018 (Dispute Resolution)
- Pérez Bustamante & Ponce (2010 – present)
- Associate Professor of Constitutional Law, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador (2011 – 2016)
- Associate Professor of General Theory of the State and Society, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador (2014 – 2016)
- Professor of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, Master of Laws with a minor in Constitutional, Human and Environmental Rights, Universidad de los Hemisferios, Quito, Ecuador (2019)
- Professor of Constitutional Procedure, Master of Laws with a minor in Constitutional, Human and Environmental Rights, Universidad de los Hemisferios, Quito, Ecuador (2020 – present)
- Professor of Constitutional Law, Universidad de los Hemisferios, Quito, Ecuador (2021 – present)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, Quito (Lawyer, 2010)
- Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Quito, Ecuador (Advanced Specialization in Constitutional Law, 2011)
- The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, U.S.A. (Business and Law Certificate, 2014)
- University of Pennsylvania, U.S.A. (Master’s Degree in Law, LLM, 2014)
- Ecuador Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Ibero-American Institute of Constitutional Law, Ecuador Chapter
- La Corte Constitucional, el derecho a la igualdad y las categorías sospechosas. Revista de derecho Iuris Dictio, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, No. 21: pp. 81-95, 2018.
- Collective Actions: trends and currents in Latin America. Litigation Committee Newsletter. London: International Bar Association, p.35, 2018.
- Will the Overarching Sixth Power take the Constitution Away from the People? Revista Ruptura, AED, No. 59: pp. 33-60, 2016.
- ¿Real Malicia? Descifrando un estándar foráneo de protección para el derecho a la libertad de expresión para su aplicación en Ecuador, Revista Derecho PUCP No. 85, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Lima: 2020.
PBP Insights – José David Ortiz-Custodio