Juan Manuel Marchán
Consumer Markets and Retail, Education, Infrastructure and Projects, Technology and Innovation, Public Procurement, Mergers and Acquisitions, Dispute Resolution, Transport
Juan Manuel leads our M&A practice. Thanks to his knowledge and expertise, he is also recognized in other fields including infrastructure and local and international arbitration.
Juan Manuel focuses on mergers and acquisitions, infrastructure, financing and local and international arbitration.
In M&A, Juan Manuel handles multijurisdictional corporate operations and transactions and offers expert advice to buyers, sellers, investment bankers and lenders on SPAs, asset sales, due diligence processes and closing transactions. He has represented banks and issuers in international bond issues. He counsels international companies on major infrastructure projects, public-private partnerships, strategic alliances and project financing.
In local and international arbitration, Juan Manuel has advised clients in international arbitration concerning investment, infrastructure, oil & gas, electric power and complex commercial issues. He is a regular arbitrator in local and international cases.
Well-regarded partner Juan Manuel Marchán is described as a “brilliant strategist” by a client, who goes on to note: “His transactional approach to dispute cases is incredible and allows him to design persuasive strategies based on the basic aspects of a transaction.” Another interviewee goes on to praise him for being “very knowledgeable and experienced in major international arbitration proceedings.”
Chambers Latin America 2021 (Dispute Resolution)
Juan Manuel Marchán is “a creative and sophisticated lawyer for complex corporate matters and M&A transactions,” according to a client. Another interviewee attests: “He is a strategic lawyer with fantastic knowledge and experience in the corporate arena,” adding that he offers “a pragmatic and business-oriented approach to cases.”
Chambers Latin America 2021 (Corporate & Commercial)
“A client commends Juan Manuel Marchán for his “ability to deconstruct high-complexity issues into concise and strong arguments.” Interviewees go on to add: “He masters various areas of law and his strategy-defining ability is his best quality, particularly when combined with his in-depth knowledge of the subject matter.” His practice encompasses both local and international arbitration, including investment treaty cases.”
Chambers Latin America 2020 (Dispute Resolution)
“Juan Manuel Marchán is commended by clients, with one stating: “Juan Manuel is quick and highly efficient. He is a top lawyer who understands the local market and gets involved in the legal design of the transaction, reviewing the documentation to ensure everything is perfect.”
Chambers Latin America 2020 (Corporate & Commercial)
The Legal 500, 2019 (Real Estate, Dispute Resolution, Corporate and M&A)
Corporate / M&A- 2020
“Juan Manuel Marchán is noted for his “responsive and good-quality” corporate and commercial advice. He frequently advises foreign private banks on sovereign debt issuances and M&A transactions.”
Chambers Latin America 2019 (Corporate and Commercial)
“Juan Manuel Marchán is described by sources as “really fantastic” in reference to his arbitration practice. They elaborate: “He stands out from other arbitration specialists as he can see the big picture of the case and strategy. He’s worked with big clients and firms and knows how to get the results.””
Chambers Latin America 2019 (Arbitration)
- Pérez Bustamante & Ponce (2004 – present)
- National and international lecturer and speaker (present)
- Arbitrator, Quito Chamber of Commerce, Ecuador (2015 – present)
- Arbitrator, Ecuadorian-American Chamber of Commerce, Quito (2013 – present)
- Professor of International Arbitration, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador (2016 – present)
- Secretary, Arbitral Tribunals, Quito Chamber of Commerce, Ecuador (2003 – 2013)
- Secretary, Ecuadorian-American Chamber of Commerce, Quito (2003 – 2014)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, Quito (Doctor of Jurisprudence, 2001)
- Columbia University School of Law, New York, U.S.A. (Master of Laws, 2003)
- Ecuador Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Member, Young Council, International Bar Association (2015 – present)
- Vice President, ICC Ecuador National Committee (2016 – present)
- Founding member and Vice President, Ecuadorian Arbitration Institute (2008 – present)
- National and International Arbitration in Ecuador, co-authored with Rodrigo Jijón-Letort, Javier Jaramillo-Troya and Camilo Muriel-Bedoya. The Arbitration Review of the Americas 2020, Global Arbitration Review.
- Ecuador International Arbitration. World Arbitration Reporter.
- National and International Arbitration in Ecuador, co-authored with Rodrigo Jijón).The Arbitration Review of the Americas 2014. Global Arbitration Review.
- Arbitration Ecuador, co-authored with Rodrigo Jijón. Getting the Deal Through. 2014.
- National and International Arbitration in Ecuador, co-authored with Rodrigo Jijón. The Arbitration Review of the Americas 2013. Global Arbitration Review in association with Pérez Bustamante & Ponce.
- Arbitration Ecuador, co-authored with Rodrigo Jijón. Getting the Deal Through. 2013.
- Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Ecuador, co-authored with Rodrigo Jijón. Getting the Deal Through. 2013.
- Arbitration Ecuador, co-authored with Rodrigo Jijón. Getting the Deal Through. 2012.
- Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Ecuador. Getting the Deal Through. 2012.
- El Arbitraje Comercial Internacional en Ecuador, El Arbitraje Comercial Internacional en Iberoamérica, Marco Legal y Jurisprudencial,co-authored with Xavier Andrade Cadena. Wolters Kluwer / Cuatrecasas Goncalves Pereira. Second edition. 2012
- La nulidad de laudos arbitrales en el Ecuador, Revista Ecuatoriana de Arbitraje. Instituto Ecuatoriano de Arbitraje. 2011.
- Arbitration Ecuador, co-authored with Rodrigo Jijón. LatinLawyer. 2011.
- Breves Reflexiones sobre el Arbitraje Fast Track, co-authored with Rodrigo Jijón Letort. Revista Ecuatoriana de Arbitraje. Instituto Ecuatoriano de Arbitraje. 2010.
PBP Insights – Juan Manuel Marchán