On May 6, 2020, the President of the Republic of Ecuador issued Executive Decree No. 1036.
For institutional optimization purposes, through this Executive Decree the President has decided to merge the following agencies into one:
- Mining Regulatory Agency
- Electricity Regulatory Agency
- Hydrocarbons Regulatory Agency
The new agency will be called: Energy and Non-Renewable Resources Regulatory Agency.
Upon completion of the merger, the new agency will: (i) take over all responsibilities, powers, programs, projects, representations and delegations of the merging entities; and (ii) be attached to the Ministry of Energy and Non-Renewable Natural Resources (MERNNR).
The Board of Directors of the Energy and Non-Renewable Resources Regulatory Agency shall consist of:
- The minister of MERNNR – who will be presiding
- The head of the Environment and Water governing body (currently, the Ministry of the Environment)
- The head of the government’s governing body
- The head of the National Defense governing body
- The head of the Technical Secretariat of the National Decentralized Participatory Planning System
The deadline for the merger is 60 days counted from the date of signing the Executive Decree, i.e. July 5, 2020. The MERNNR will have until July 20 to appoint an Executive Director for the Energy and Non-Renewable Natural Resources Regulatory Agency.
During the 60-day period: (i) a process of evaluation, selection and streamlining of human resources will be carried out in order to eliminate unnecessary positions, and (ii) a new structure and management model will be implemented.